At Daily Connect, the security of all our users is of the highest importance to us. All day, every day, the childcare professionals around the world who use Daily Connect look after something truly priceless: children.
Today, we’re announcing the release of a new security feature to our app: geofencing.
What Does the Feature Do?
This feature prevents staff from using Daily Connect anywhere outside of your facility. If you choose to enable this feature, your staff will only be able to log in to Daily Connect while connected to your facility’s Wi-Fi network.
How Do I Enable This Feature?
To turn this feature on for your childcare center, navigate to the Authorized IP Addresses pages in the Settings of your Daily Connect web application (or click here). On this page, you’ll be given the option to add a list of IP addresses that are permitted to access the Daily Connect application.
There’s no need to look-up your IP Address – the Daily Connect App will recognize it, and you can add it by clicking ‘Add my current IP Address to the authorized list’. If you’d like to add additional IP Addresses, you can do that here.
If you don’t want to activate this feature, you can ignore this article. Nothing has been changed in your existing Daily Connect account.
Who Is This Feature For?
This feature only limits access for classroom and teacher accounts: administrators and families will still be able to access Daily Connect from anywhere.
By using this feature, you can prevent staff from clocking in and out while they’re not at work. Your teachers will be unable to log in to Daily Connect, save new information, or access your data unless they are connected to your WiFi network. If they try to connect from a different location, they’ll be automatically logged out and won’t be able to log back in.
This feature is only available for Professional+ subscriptions.
Tips to Increase Security at Your Facility
In addition to Daily Connect’s built-in security features, there are several steps you can take to ensure your childcare center’s data is well-protected. These include:
- Regularly updating passwords and using passwords that are hard to guess (contain uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols).
- Make sure you have the most recent version of the Daily Connect app downloaded.
- Add passcodes to the lockscreens of classroom devices like computers and tablets.
- Delete all photos and videos from your devices after they have been uploaded to the Daily Connect app.
- Make sure classroom staff only have a teacher level account, not an administrator account reserved for childcare center owners and managers.
- Forbid staff from sharing their login information.
- If you’re using the sign-in kiosk on a shared device for your parents to sign-in/out their children, make sure to ‘lock’ the sign-in kiosk page. This way, parents won’t be able to exit the page and potentially view private information from other families.
By following these internet security best practices, you’ll know you’re doing everything in your power to keep your facility secure.
Got questions about this new feature or any other Daily Connect security features? Reach out to the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.